If you want to “enter IT” from scratch, you think about which area to direct your efforts. Mobile development attracts with its popularity and demand. Millions of smartphone owners use apps every day for work, play or study. If you want to get into the wave, it’s time to become an Android developer. Follow our tips and you will succeed!
What to choose iOS or Android?
Both platforms have their pros and cons in terms of popularity and development. The developers of both platforms are good friends who constantly exchange experiences. What attracts Android:
– The platform’s audience is wider – 86.2% of smartphone users in the world have Android OS.
– Wide geography of use around the world.
– Java is an easy-to-learn and intuitive language
– Despite the fact that iOS pays off better (paid applications and purchases in them, a more solvent audience), an individual android developer has its own niche in the market. Serious companies focus mainly on iOS, so there is a place for developers to work.
Where to begin?
If the specialization of an android application developer appeals to you, here are some tips on where to start.
1. You have to really be passionate about Android development and want to develop in that direction. The situation is complicated by the fact that many smartphones from different companies use Android, and updates are coming slowly, which affects how to make an application that fits different screen sizes and system versions. Be prepared for this.
2. You need to understand the general methodology for developing mobile applications, as well as develop the necessary thinking – you need to remember that the resources of mobile phones are not limitless. Android app developers need to take care of CPU performance, memory size, and battery life. If the application is made poorly, it will be removed soon.
3. The best place to start is with an Android programming course, where you will have a mentor who can give you feedback on code and architecture.
4. In parallel, read literature, blogs and play online casinos. Herewith watch video tutorials. Important: you are looking for content in English, since the most progressive materials on Android development are on the English-speaking Internet.
Company requirements for entry-level Android developers
In order to get a job in a professional company as an android developer, you need the following skills:
-Good knowledge of Java for Android development & Android SDK / Gradle build system
-Good knowledge XML/JSON/SQL/GIT
-Good understanding OOP/OOD/SOLID principles
-Good understanding UI/UX principles and experience with customizing UI
-Experience with back end integration using REST API
-English level – Intermediate
As you can see, most companies publish requirements in English, which speaks of its importance for the developer.
How to get a job as a Junior developer of Android applications
If you are creating android apps and games like best casino games – this is what you want to do professionally, in a good team, you need to get into an IT company.
To do this, train yourself for several months – master the basic skills, write a few trial applications.
Internet resource to help you Upworkwhere you can see real Android tasks and try to do them. At first, don’t even take an order, just work on the task without deadline and commitments.
Then try your hand at small local companies, where you will gain experience in teamwork, understand how applications are developed in general.
And, of course, attend thematic events, listen to reports from professionals and meet other developers, exchange experiences.
Tips from Android Developers
A few tips for learning Android development from the Artjoker team.
1. Understand how the code and functionality of Android frameworks works. You will learn a lot and put pieces of development knowledge into the system.
2. Do not try to grasp the immensity – learn the things that are needed specifically now to develop a specific application. In your free time, research what interests you. Android is like an iceberg, if you have studied something and think that this is enough, come to your senses, you only know 30%.
3. The up-and-coming android app developer is studying the best practices of colleagues. You can browse open source libraries and programs, draw conclusions and implement new techniques in your projects, thereby improving them.
4. Learn Java Design Patterns – they make your development a lot easier and keep you on track when other developers discuss them.
5. Communicate with mobile designers – whether an app is intuitive doesn’t just depend on the UI / UX designer.
6. Make it a rule to use hotkeys when working on an application – optimize your time.
7. Follow the trends – the Kotlin programming language is gaining momentum. Specialists who know how to work with it will soon be in great demand.
It will be useful for you:
– developer.android.com – a site that contains useful documentation for developers
– Android Wear is a version of the Google Android operating system that you can use to program applications for smartwatches and other wearable devices.
– ARCore is a mobile augmented reality platform. Given the rapidly evolving pace of augmented reality, it is useful to study the topic.
– Android Auto, Android Things and Android TV – all of these services and programs also show that the field is not limited to development for smartphones, so you have a lot of potential!
Good luck in realizing yourself as an Android developer, work hard every day, set yourself a goal and go for it 🙂